- Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) Third Track Expansion Project
- 2022 Information
- LIRR Third Track Update - July 2022
LIRR Third Track Update - July 2022
During the month of July, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Garden City.
- Crews from EJ Electric will continue the process of removing temporary utility poles across the entire project alignment.
- In some areas, workers may have to access private property in which case the project will coordinate in advance with individual business/property owners
Tanners Pond Road / Denton Avenue Bridge Replacement Project
- Sidewalk drainage pavement and refurbished granite from the original Denton Avenue Bridge is being installed has begun on the south side of the bridge and is expected to continue through mid-July.
- The project team is coordinating closely with the Village of Garden City to finalize the design of the new traffic configuration and re-open the roadway.
- As a result, local road closures and detours are in place for the time being.
- Tanners Pond Road/Denton Avenue is closed from Main Avenue to Railroad Avenue. Traffic is being redirected to alternate routes, and work zone traffic control (WZTC) signage has been posted throughout the closure.
- View a vehicular detour map for the area.
- Crews are currently installing security fencing along the top of the newly installed wall from Nassau Boulevard to approximately Cornelia Avenue.
Merillon Avenue Station Enhancement
- 3TC has substantially completed its work on the Merillon Avenue Station. The process of restoring the area in its permanent condition has begun.
- As a result, there will be ongoing punch list work, including the installation of misc. handrails, infill panels, and platform barriers, at the station throughout the month.
- During the first week of July, on one night during the overnight hours, surfacing equipment is expected to be moved from Divide 1 (approximately Urban Avenue) to New Nassau 1 (approximately Merillon Avenue Station)
- With planting season underway, the project has remained committed to landscaping and other design elements - such as the planting of trees, shrubs and other greenery - that will enhance a completed project and contribute to the beautification of the corridor.
- Landscaping has begun and will continue throughout July.
Double Track Outages
- July 9 and 10: Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) is using a non-project related double track outage to perform Track Work at Mineola Station using a track-laying machine (TLM).
- Hi-rails will be getting on and off on South 11th and Elmwood Street to support Mineola work.
- July 16 and 17: Intensive piggyback work will occur while crews finish the restoration of the Atlantic Avenue wall on the north side of the tracks between the Meadowbrook Parkway and Cherry Lane Bridge.
- July 23 and 24: Intensive work will occur between Bellerose Station and Covert Avenue on the Hempstead Branch in Floral Park from 9 pm on Friday to 5 am on Monday.
- Weekend work will follow on the Mainline from Floral Park Station to New Hyde Park Station.
- July 30 and 31:
- Intensive project work will occur between Herricks Road in Mineola and Glen Cove road in Carle Place from 9 pm on Friday to 5 am on Monday while crews are installing the Nassau 2 switches just east of Mineola Station.
- Project work will also be occurring up the Oyster Bay Branch to Jericho Turnpike.
- Please visit the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) Planned Service page to plan your trip.
Additional Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) Work Along the Railroad Right-of-Way
- In addition to the activities described above, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way at various times during the month.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may be taking place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the post on the LIRR Expansion Project website.